Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Texas Cake, Pergolas and Chickens

We went to a retirement party last Saturday and I made this cake. Mom used to make it all the time when we were growing up and it is sooooooooooo yummy. It is really rich and chocolatey and makes alot so I don't dare make it very often. Hope you like it too.

Texas Cake
2 c. sifted flour
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
2 sticks margarine
4 tbsp. cocoa
1 cup water
Mix flour, sour cream, salt, sugar, baking soda and eggs.
In a pan - bring to boil margarine, cocoa, and water.
Add boiled mixture to dry ingredients.
Mix well and pour into a greased and floured cake pan ( I used a sheet pan)
350 deg for 35 minutes.

Frosting
1 box powdered sugar ( I used a two pound bag) YUM
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. pecans (walnuts are good too)
1 stick margarine
4 tbsp. cocoa
6 tbsp. milk
Mix sugar, vanilla and pecans.
Bring to boil - margarine, milk and cocoa.
Add to dry ingredients.

So here is what my husband worked on last night. We had a pergola up from Walmart that lasted a whole month before the monsoon Utah desert winds blew it to smithereens. What a waste. So we (Dale) are building the industrial strength model. We have one like it on the other side of the house where the grill is and it has been there probably 7 years now. This one is going to have some of the "pieces" of the Wally world model incorporated into it, so it won't be a total waste of money. I can't wait! He is sooo talented!
While I am at it. Here is the gift I took to the party. She really liked it. I made the chicken and got the mug from a fellow etsier - Mudfairy. It was sooo cute.


2 comments: